Candidates for the Data Engineer role need a strong technical foundation in database architecture, database infrastructure, configuration, installation and practice, hands-on experience with building and supporting highly available and scalable systems. Candidates must have strong knowledge and experience of data replication strategies and technologies. They should have keen attention to detail, must be vigilant in the analysis to come to correct conclusions. This role supports the day-to-day development activities by working as a member of a software engineering team. Candidates must have strong experience with the following technologies – ORACLE 11g and/or 12c, MySQL, PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server.
The Data Engineer will perform as a hands-on Database Technologist with both Database Development and Database Administration experience.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, able to drive tasks to completion independently, and able to learn new skills on the job as project requirements expand.
- Create, troubleshoot and optimize SQL queries, stored packages/procedures, views, functions, etc.
- Analyze queries execution plans for performance improvements
- Create and review SQL code from performance, scalability and security perspectives
- Ensuring data integrity
- Recommend improvements in the reporting and batch processing code
- Creating solutions and implementing complex data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, managing, analyzing and visualizing large sets of data using multiple platforms.
- Work with business owners to identify information needed
- Collaborate with other software engineers to create optimized SQL code
- Apply knowledge of industry best practices and sound coding techniques established to refine operational procedures and processes to ensure solution reliability
- Ensure to enforce coding standards and naming conventions
The Data Engineer requires experience as a hands-on Database Technologist with Database Architecture, Database Development and Database Administration experience.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience. 8+ years’ experience in Database Development & Administration preferred.
Skills and Qualifications
- Able to see through the data and analyze it to find conclusions
- Highly analytical data junkie who enjoys coding
- Must be able to look at the numbers, trends, and data and come to new conclusions based on the findings
- 5 years or more experience in the database development lifecycle
- Solid knowledge of relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server)
- Expert in PL/SQL, Transact-SQL (stored packages, procedures, functions, triggers)
- Solid knowledge of isolation levels, transaction processing, batch processing, lock escalation, error handling fundamentals
- Strong knowledge of Data Modeling principles, experience with Data Modeling tools (ER/Studio, ERwin, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with Data Transformation, knowledge of various ETL tools
- Strong knowledge of all the aspects of Data Lifecycle Management, including but not limited to Data Masking, Data Sub-setting, Data Generation
- Strong knowledge of data mining
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- 5 years of database programming including development of stored methods (PL/SQL, Transact-SQL)
- Strong SQL skills including the ability to rewrite complex queries to improve performance
- Experience with VLDB environments
- Java knowledge and scripting experience very helpful
- Linux knowledge is a plus
- Understanding/experience with NoSQL and Big Data is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Core member of an agile team.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and work with onshore and offshore teams
Physical Requirements/Work Environment: Daily activities of an administrative nature. Work is primarily sedentary.