How to choose an EVV provider under the Cures Act Mandate
As more states inch closer to deciding on how they will implement the EVV requirements as part of the Cures Act, it seems that the “open model” is gaining traction. Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration recently decided to use this model – in which a state names a preferred vendor but allows homecare agencies to choose another firm if they’d like. Ohio also plans on using a modified version of Open Vendor.
In open model states, the state will foot the bill for providers who select, what may be a bare bones solution. Those providers requiring richer EVV functionality may choose, at their own expense, a different software vendor, as long as it meets specific state standards, such as data exchange compatibility with the AHCA system.
At Sandata, we’ve developed a set of recommendations for providers facing this decision in the “open model” scenario. So as homecare agencies start the research process, we thought the following might be helpful.
4 Steps to Vet EVV Providers:
- Obtain integration specifications from the state before contacting vendors.
- Make a thorough evaluation of vendor experience.
- Make an equally thorough evaluation of vendor qualifications, especially to meet state standards.
- If you already have a vendor, review your state’s standards with them to obtain assurance they are compatible.
Table Stakes: Your EVV Provider Should Offer:
- Proven compliance with AHCA EVV requirements at no additional charge.
- Ability to provide data to/from the state system at no additional charge.
- Proven ability to work in an Open EVV environment at no additional charge.
- Proven ability to support state billing requirements at no additional charge.
- Ability to improve efficiencies to offset EVV costs and willing to guarantee it.
The Cures Act has created a cottage industry of sorts for EVV services, and there’s been a flurry of enterprising technology providers rushing EVV products to the market. Sandata has been providing EVV software – and a wide range of agency management solutions – to the homecare industry for more than 30 years. We know what’s required to ensure a successful implementation and how to integrate EVV technology into the overall agency management system. Check out Sandata’s evv solution for more information. Sandata EVV